Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blog 3: Incorporation of Practice

In Panama there is a huge focus on education and primary prevention. I would like to incorporate into my practice the amount of time nurse go over information with their patients. During my clinical experience I watched every nurse go over the entire process of pregnancy, child birth and breastfeeding with women who were coming as little as one month pregnant so that the mother’s would know what to expect for them and their babies and provide for them as healthy an opportunity as possible. I also watched when the vaccines where given to children that the parents were explained the reasoning for these protections. In the clinics there are also flyers on everything from HIV to Diabetes to breastfeeding displayed in ways that are understandable. In the grocery stores that hand out flyers on low salt diets to protect your heart and the importance of well balanced meals. In the USA I have not worked in the community clinics only in the hospital setting so I do not know if the focus is the same as here in Panama, but this is one aspect of patient care I have seen breezed over in the hospital. I will make sure to incorporate the literature to my patients in a way they will understand and make sure they have all their questions answered by me or someone able to competently answer them. The second aspect I would incorporate is the feeling of tranquility and unlimited time these nurses provide their patients. They do not rush them but provide them with their services in a way that makes you feel comfortable to take your time and ponder what you are being told. Even with their caseload and paperwork they manage to take the time needed for each patient. Incorporating this into my practice would help build not only therapeutic relationships but provide a more stable environment for our patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment