Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Welcome to Panama Blog 1

Welcome to Panama City


Excitement and apprehension is what I felt when the plane was taking off for Panama City. Last time I had been in the country I was in elementary school and from what I remembered it was a country seven years from having the control of the canal returned to them. When I flew over Panama City I saw the new addition of skyscrapers and the stunning contrast of mountains and ocean. I was prepared to witness the growth of the country but the splendor of the city and its modern feel caught me by surprise. We had very little interaction with the local people in the main city but everyone said Buenas when you smiled at them. The old city had the feeling of history and some buildings you could feel the spirit of the past five hundred years seep from them. The old city is also protesting progress that will take away the UNISCO world heritage status and alter the tourism by taking away from the views and removing some of the historic façade of the area. There are several alternations currently being undertaken so they are fighting as adamantly as possible for the government to stop focusing on a road and focus on today where litter cleanup is an issue. In the more modern area of Panama City you feel as if you are walking the streets of Miami or another major metropolitan city. Advertisements for local cultural events clash against posters of youthful activities. The youth have created a city for themselves and the nightlife is thriving in certain areas. The city also boasts unique food dishes that can carter to any culinary palate and provides you with refreshing vegetables and fruit mixtures not seen at home.


Welcome to Chitre
Research of Chitre provided me with a semi-idea of what to expect upon arrival in the city. I knew it was a historic location established in October of 1848 by the Spanish but it also is a surprisingly charming city. It is famous for its beaches that I am looking forward to explore. I also found it has numerous individuals who enjoy talking to you about their culture and would provide you with an open home. The city has all the necessities of life and helps bring to mind a different way of life that is more peaceful and focused with family values. We have been here only a few days but already the restaurant we visited on the first night gave us with a breathtaking view and tasty seafood. The university has provided us with an open location to learn and a view of how democratic the process is for the students and faculty vote for their new university president. The clinic showed me a new insight of medical treatment where services are one dollar each and includes dentists to women’s health to pediatrics’ to general practice. It is a city that seems to have a lot of secrets to discover and we shall see what adventures I will have during my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment